Monday, May 4, 2009

I Ran the Broad Street Run and I'm Still Alive!

Great news!!! I can officially knock off the Broad Street Run from my list of things to do! This past Sunday, a bunch of my friends and I took the 10-miler by storm--quite literally! There was cold rain falling for a significant portion of the race, but our spirits were high for the start, and all of us--my roommates and my GSE friends--completed the 10 miles with style!

I have to confess that I was rather a Negative Nancy post-race yesterday, which is quite unlike me. During my hour and 35 minutes of running and thinking, I realized that in the month or so that I'd been running prior to race day, I had never run more than five miles at a time. Now here I was doubling my distance, which seemed more and more idiotic with each passing mile! The first half of the race was, surprisingly, a breeze. The runners were in good spirits, and I was with my friend Danielle (together we picked off the runners in front of us like flies!) for a decent while. Then, somewhere around mile six, I started wanting to walk a LOT. However, since I had promised myself I wouldn't, I pressed on and simply slowed my running pace when the desire to walk was overwhelming.

By God's grace, I finished the race in decent time, and made it back alive--albeit shivering--to my apartment! Some of my lovely friends from school were dear enough to venture into the cold to cheer us on, which was encouraging.

The rest of the day was spent in exhausted mode. I napped, ate, napped, ate, and finally completed the reading I had to do for class the next day. While I don't know if I'll ever do the Broad Street Run again, I'm glad that I did it, and that I had great friends doing it with me! If you're reading this, and you're someone who's coming to GSE next year, I recommend participating in the Broad Street Run, if not for the fitness for the epic Philadelphia experience that it has come to be!

Have a great day!

No comments: