Let me preface this blog by saying that I am definitely not a sports fan. I watch the Olympics for the part when the medalists stand on blocks and tear up as they hear their national anthems played over giant speakers...and I am probably one of the world's worst athletes (daydreaming is sooooo much more fun than waiting for a soccer ball to come flying at me into the goal...). Despite my disinclination for sports, I feel as though I'd be a horrid Philadelphia if I didn't comment on the WORLD SERIES, which the Phillies just won for the first time in 28 years! Aka I wasn't even born last time they won. I don't know...it seems like sort of a big deal. :-)My roommate was slightly more on top of things than me last night, and at least attempted to watch the game. I, on the other hand, was far more concerned about making something delightful for Cookie Thursday, finishing an online crossword puzzle, talking to friends on the phone...pretty much anything but baseball! When the game was actually won, though, we could ignore things no longer! Philadelphia went CRAZY! Though our house isn't anywhere close to the baseball fields, people were screaming, cars were honking like mad, and it was just a giant party!
Feeling sort of like disloyal residents, my roommate and I paid tribute by running outside into the cold and taking a quick walk down the block screaming for the Phillies every time a honking car drove by. (It was the least we could do!) I have to say...I may not love baseball, or even like it, and I may be the opposite of an athlete, but I do love seeing Philadelphians everywhere joining together and showing some true city pride! Gooooo Phillies!
Maybe next year, I'll actually watch the game!
No comments:
Post a Comment