Thursday, April 9, 2009

Let's Get Organized!

Last night, I talked to my dad on the phone, which is a surefire way to make myself aware of how much I need a job. My dad loooves to talk about my job search (he especially loves" networking talk," while I'd like to talk about anything BUT that! I'm sure that months from now I'll look back and say that he kept me on task, but sometimes our discussions are veeeery frustrating.

Yesterday's chat was one of the more frustrating ones, but also motivating. I'm becoming SIGNIFICANTLY anxious about finding a job, and I feel very disorganized in my search. Last night as I sifted through job listservs and things, I just got fed up with how out-of-control I was feeling in the whole job-finding process...so I decided to get organized! I made a table on my computer, and I organized my potential jobs into job title, job notes, and application deadline. Now I know what needs to get done fastest and what positions are available to me. I'm still not finished my list, but even having the eight or ten options that are currently on the radar classified, I feel like something of a new woman! :-)

My experience can serve as instructional for those of you in my situation next year. I wouldn't say that I did a bad job of preparing for the job search necessarily...I have a resume that's ready for action, and I have references who can vouch for my crazy skills (ha), but what I didn't do that I highly recommend doing is start the search early! There's no harm in checking out what's around, you know? Just look and see what catches your eye...you might find nothing, you might find something slightly more appealing than nothing, and you might find your dream job, but you'll never know until you look!

Happy Job Hunting!

No comments: