
I have a story. So last weekend, my sister Julie came to visit from the lovely state of NJ, and she and my roommate Jayme, my roommate's boyfriend Matt, and I decided to go out for dinner at an Italian BYOB. We found one called Francoluigi's High Note Cafe that looked pretty super fun, especially because the waiters and waitresses there were reported to sing to you throughout the night as you were eating. A singer myself, I was intrigued, and had to get there!
After several "we're lost in Philadelphia" moments, we made it to the South Philadelphia location of the restaurant. It was very neighborhood-ish--not your typical BYOB locale--but I loved it all the more for that, and was excited to try it out! Our waiter, Chris, turned out to be quite a character, and Julie and Jayme quickly made it their goal to get me up on the stage for a song or two. They were pretty easily able to convince our waiter that their idea was a great one, and they even managed to convince the table of people eating beside us that I "had" to sing a song. Slightly mortified and slightly amused, I did so, and was well-received by the other diners at the restaurant, especially by the group of four sitting right behind the microphone. As the night went on, that group asked that I sing again, which I did. When I returned to my seat, I was approached by Franco (known as "Philadelphia's singing chef"), the owner of the restaurant. He asked me about my singing history, and while we were talking, my sister pretty much started selling me as a potential employee! ("She has waitressing experience! She needs a job! She's nice!" etc.). After our conversation, I agreed to come back the following night and shadow another waiter and become, officially, a singing waitress!
I've had two nights of training so far, and my third and final night is tonight! Minus the difficulties of using a fancy wine bottle opener and lighting table votives with a lighter (my thumb is still smarting from last week's attempt!), I love working at Francoluigi's! If someone had asked me two weeks ago the things that I felt were missing from my Philadelphia living experience, I'd have said two things: "a way to get some extra spending money" and "an opportunity to sing." All I have to say is God is GOOD! :-)
I'd write more, but I've got to get ready for work tonight! Come and visit (13th and Tasker Streets), and I'll sing you a song!
No comments:
Post a Comment