And I HADN'T made any really really horrible errors........until today. Last night, I worked on a short paper for my history class briefly and then I quickly whipped up a batch of cookies for the poster presentation potluck in my Higher Ed. in American Society class. I was feeling energized, and ready for a week of productivity. I got to work at nine this morning, and a few minutes after, Jamey walked in looking stressed as could be.
"Jamey," I said, "Why are you so stressed? We still have another week and a day before our papers are due!"
"Not me," he said. "Almost everything I have is due this week?"
I prompted him to tell me what he had to do for this week, and he mentioned a few professors and their assignments. As he listed them, I suddenly noted that one of the professors on his list was also my professor...if Jamey had something due this week (today, in fact), why didn't I?
Silently (not wanting to make an unnecessary scene), I opened my Blackboard and checked the syllabus for the class Jamey had mentioned. And right in front of me on the syllabus (where I guess it had been for the entire semester) were the words "Final Papers Due" right under 12-9-2008. OH. BROTHER. And so my first flip out session commenced. Thank the Lord, it was short lived because I have an amazingly understanding professor who took pity on my plea for forgiveness and granted me a brief extension. For the record, I really was telling the truth...I would have sworn on my life that the paper was due next week...and I'm not often one to finish papers (start perhaps, but not finish!) more than a week in advance. It was a lesson in careful reading. And a lesson that I won't soon forget.
This whole awful story of course calls for a bit of dialogue from Anne of Green Gables. What would I do without her?

"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?"
"I'll warrant you'll make plenty in it," said Marilla. "I never saw your beat for making mistakes, Anne."
"Yes, and well I know it," admitted Anne mournfully. "But have you ever noticed one encouraging thing about me, Marilla? I never make the same mistake twice."
"I don't know as that's much benefit when you're always making new ones."
"Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
I, for one, am very comforted! And I won't be making this mistake again!
1 comment:
hahahaha...someone should write a book entitled "the gospel according to anne"
Post a Comment